Found an Animal? What To Do
If you have found a pet, here are some things you can do:
- Check for identification: collar, tags, etc.
- If handleable, bring pet to any veterinary clinic for a quick microchip scan (there is no fee for this)
- Hang ‘Found’ flyers in area were pet was found
- Drive around and look for ‘Lost Pet’ flyers
- Inquire with local veterinary clinics for possible ‘lost’ pets
- Look on Petfinder.com under Classifieds for Lost Pets. Also post the pet you’ve found under Found Pets.
- Look on Craigslist.org in Lost & Found. Post a "Found" pet ad with as much detail as possible and a photo.
- If contacted by a possible owner, ask them to describe details which only an owner might know. Example: color of the collar, any unusual markings or behaviors.
Call the local animal control agency for your region and ask them their process for accepting found animals. The following agencies accept found animals:
Regional Animal Services of King County
21615 64th Ave S
Seattle Animal Shelter
2061 15th Ave W
Everett Animal Shelter
333 Smith Island Rd.
Humane Society Tacoma & Pierce Co.
2608 Center Street